Jean Hanson has distinguished herself as a smart entrepreneur who is successful in her own businesses as well as helping others to be more successful in theirs. She specializes in the cleaning industry and holds the positions of Vice President of My House Cleaning Biz and Vice President of The Janitorial Store. She is also a Certified Duct Tape Marketing Consultant for Marketing Systems By Design, and one of our longtime active members. Jean shared her journeys in business with us and has found high value in the resources she’s found with her connections in WIN:
- Why did you choose to join WIN?
I’ve known Teresa since she was a client of mine back in the early 2000’s. I had a virtual assistant business at the time but transitioned out of it because my husband and I started a third business that was doing very well. Although I loved my clients, something had to go. Since our business was also a virtual business and our customers were all over the country, I started spending way too much time in my home office. So I reached out to Teresa and joined WIN, primarily to get out of the house and meet more people and fellow business owners!
- Describe your business and what you love most about what you do.
Over the years we’ve owned 2 commercial cleaning companies, so we wanted to share what we’d learned and provide training and resources to cleaning business owners through our membership websites, TheJanitorialStore.com and MyHouseCleaningBiz.com. We’ve been doing this since 2005, and in 2013 we started Marketing Systems By Design, a digital marketing company.What I love after 30 years in business, is teaching and helping other small business owners grow their own small business – and doing it in a way that helps them avoid many of the mistakes we’ve made along the way.
- Do you have new developments, projects or successes you would like to share with us?
Since the cleaning industry isn’t regulated, it’s taken many years to set industry standards for training janitorial staff. We recently submitted two of our training programs to ISSA, the largest industry association, to have an assessor review our programs to make sure they comply with the standard for certifying cleaning technicians. We have been awarded the seal of approval on these programs and will continue to submit additional programs over this next year. This gives us a big credibility boost within the industry.
- Do you have any “secrets to success” or tips that you’ve picked up along the way?
Perseverance, hard work and passion will take you a long way, but it will eventually catch up to you unless you reach out and get help. You don’t have to do it all yourself – be open to receiving help to grow your business and new doors will open for you.
- What is something interesting thing about you that we wouldn’t learn from your resume?
My husband and I built a cabin when we lived in Idaho from the ground up by ourselves. I’m not a builder so my husband had to tell me what to do, but I was good at holding things up and keeping it level. We eventually got it done over 2 summers and it was awesome!
- What has given you the greatest satisfaction over the past year?
On the personal side, we finally moved from Otsego to a new home in the Plymouth, which is so much more convenient than where we were living. It has everything on our wish list and we love it!
- What would you most like to tell the other women in WIN?
Most people join networking groups to find prospects and build connections for their business. My clients are all over the country so I knew that joining WIN wasn’t going to add clients and revenue to my business. So I decided when I joined that I would participate in WIN and utilize member businesses for their products and services. And that’s exactly how it’s played out – both personally and professionally.Here are just a few examples of ways in which I’ve benefitted from member businesses:
- We bought a new home this year and my realtor is a WIN member (Sandy Cleland), whom I’ve gotten to know at events. I knew who to call when we were ready to buy.
- Like many members, Laine Torres took fabulous headshots for us that are still being used throughout our online presence.
- I’m a dog lover and have enjoyed getting to know Elaine Garley. I have used her animal communication talents to help my dog, Sammy.
- Lori Bestler is an amazing mind coach. She’s helped me train my brain to get out of the thought patterns that were holding me back.
- I’ve been working on the spiritual side of my life the past couple years and between feng shui adjustments and angel readings, Kim Julen has been super helpful in keeping me grounded and helping me develop my intuition (and a whole lot more).
- WIN has even helped me find an employee this year! I decided I needed a marketing assistant so I wrote out a list of what I needed help with. A few days later I attended the luncheon and Lobar Tursunova sat at my table and when the networking round came to her she said she was looking for a marketing position. That was several months ago and we’ve been working together ever since!
The best part of being a member of WIN is the friendships that have developed as a result of being a member and participating in the events. Teresa is such a great connector and supporter of each of our businesses, I truly appreciate her kind heart will continue to support WIN for years to come!