- Why did you choose to join WIN?
Something in every comment I hear at a WIN event tells that we know what the others are going through. Women in WIN are friendly and they always say hello, even when they do not know you. I always experience that we understand each other. I like the sharing – plus I get hugs!
- Describe your business and what you love most about what you do.
I am a balloon artist, a laughter therapist and a clown advocate. There are so many things I love about my work. Here are just a few:
- Sharing smiles
- Connecting with children and their parents
- Creating something beautiful for others
- The children’s imagination
- Showing others the process of creating
- Seeing the kids watch the balloons become something; they love that.
- Do you have new developments, projects or successes you would like to share with us?
I just got certified as a Laughter Therapist. We get groups together and laugh in different ways; it is a lot like improv. The purpose is to help people release stress and be healthy through laughter. It has great benefits like burning calories and increasing job satisfaction. Laughter helps communication, creativity and overall performance in the workplace. Your hope and self-worth increase.
I also have a program called Clowns Are People Too. I put the makeup on in front of the kids. All the children watching get to pop a big powder puff on my nose and do a water squirt on me. This takes away the fear of clowns. They know I am a grandma with grandkids that likes to dress up and have fun like they would on Halloween.
- Do you have any networking tips that have worked well for you?
One of the women at WIN had a business helping families and she was able to smile and make everyone feel welcome. I admire that. I try to do that.
- Do you have any “secrets to success” or tips that you’ve picked up along the way?
A while ago, I was at an event at the State Fair with our WIN Director, Teresa Thomas. She said she felt shy. I told her that right now I am not Barbara, I am Ms. Jazee who cannot be shy, down or depressed. I saw Teresa have an ‘aha’ moment and put on her WIN facilitator hat. I realized I had a trick in my bag that works.
- What is something interesting thing about you that we wouldn’t learn from your resume?
This isn’t work-related, but I am a good packer and organizer. I moved a lot in the beginning of my marriage. I like to get things organized.
- What has given you the greatest satisfaction over the past year?
I became a grown-up, finally! I started budgeting and I have a plan to be out of debt including my house. I learned I can be comfortable being by myself and taking a trip to Italy by myself. I don’t need to, but like to, be around people. I feel I can join more things. Maybe try online dating?
- What would you most like to tell the other women in WIN?
I like that I have found people who are friends in and outside of WIN.